A Communications Specialist with over 14 years of demonstrated achievement in:
- transforming complex subject matter into clear, concise messages
- procuring high-level local and national media placements
- generating powerful collateral material
- writing copy targeted for a variety of audiences
- optimizing and regulating corporate appearance and visibility
- creating and sustaining thriving, collaborative work environments
Areas of Expertise:
- Corporate Identity Development
- Traditional and New Media
- Collateral Material Development
Resourceful, excellent multi-tasker, strong analytical skills, creative thinker, flexible, stellar communication skills, media savvy, able to assimilate information quickly, exceptional writing skills, detail oriented, proactive, driven, dedicated
Flying Pig Productions 2003–Present
Work with small and large companies to increase their visibility and revenue through the design and development of traditional and new media collateral material. Consistent client return on investment within six months due to exponential increase in visibility and resultant business.
Services include: website development, graphic design, copy writing, marketing strategy, SEO and SEM, public relations, logo development, trademark and patent research and registration and branding.
Clients served include: adoption attorneys, aestheticians, artists, car salespeople, cookie makers, environmental activists, floral designers, legal graphic designers, mortage brokers, mountain guides, online and retail store owners, wedding planners and window contractors. The design, development and marketing strategies used for these companies are as diverse as the clientele themselves.
Director of Corporate Media & Communications; Webmaster
Bionovo, Inc. 2003–2008
Directed all corporate communications for a mid-cap NASDAQ-listed biopharmaceutical company. Responsibilities included: procuring media placements, public relations, press inquiry response, coordinating and conducting interviews, writing, web development, graphic design, corporate identity collateral development, corporate branding and messaging, intelligence reports and project management.
- Developed solid relationships with virtually every noteworthy media outlet, resulting in extensive press release coverage as well as numerous feature articles in national and trade magazines
- Developed targeted communication materials including: press kits, media kits, investor information packs, annual reports, product information sheets, product animations, corporate presentations and websites for retail shareholders, the media, clinical trial participants, medical experts and Wall Street investors.
- Transformed complex content into clear, compelling press releases, media pitches, corporate presentations, feature articles, executive quotes and additional content.
- Leveraged positive company news to create and strengthen relationships with members of the press, retail and institutional shareholders and potential partners.
- Provided executive management with copy to communicate potentially deleterious events tactfully
- Brokered keynote speaker invitations and maximized company visibility during seminal corporate events
- Recent press kit highlights include a featured article on Time.com, which was the most read and e-mailed story on their website for two weeks (October 15, 2007), a Red Herring magazine cover story (July 2007), a feature article in Natural Health Magazine (October 2007), a coveted interview on TheStreet TV as well as generous local, national and industry related coverage.
- Participated in product and company brand development and strategy
- Maintained excellent relationships with external PR, IR, design, programming, legal, developmental and additional consultants as well as internal and external scientists, principal investigators, industry opinion leaders and executives.
- Directed the development and implementation of a top notch website, at a fraction of competitors’ bids
- Quickly researched and assembled deep, digestible internal intelligence reports on peer companies, competitor drugs in development and other projects as needed.
- Served as company watchdog, proactively identifying trademark and patent infringements as well as other external activities, which may have affected the company.
Lead Content Developer; Visitor Research & Evaluation; Audio/Video Technician; Webcast Production; Exhibit Support Technician; Public Programs Assistant; Learning Studio Assistant; Artist in Residence
The Exploratorium 1999–2003
The Traits of Life Exhibition: An exhibit-based inquiry into the commonalities between all living things. Conducted the front-end and formative visitor evaluation studies for this exhibition, giving me profound insight into how members of the general public perceive the natural world.
Electronic Guidebook Research Project: A research project investigating the use of handheld computing devices and wireless networks to support a richer learning experience for science museum visitors. The project was a collaborative effort between the Exploratorium, Hewlett-Packard Labs and the Concord Consortium. As lead content developer on the project, I generated the multimedia content for handheld devices, which ultimately proved to support a deeper engagement with the exhibits and the ideas they communicate.
Webcasts and Public Programs: Supported the development and production of countless webcasts and public programs, including: a month of live, daily webcasts from Antarctica with corresponding floor activities and lectures, an overnight public program and corresponding live webcast of a total solar eclipse in Zambia which was viewed in real time by more than 1,000,000 people online and over 5,000 people at the museum, and monthly art event which featured more than 20 multi-media artists and brought in several thousand visitors over the course of a few hours.
Editorial and Production Assistant
MacroVU, Inc. and MacroVU Press 1997–1999
Kept multiple publishing projects running smoothly in a high-pressure environment; carried two large multi-lingual photo research projects from conception to completion; created and maintained multiple marketing and office databases, conducted extensive internet and library research for scholastic and marketing purposes; typeset; proofread; general administration
- Horn, R.E. Visual Language. San Francisco: MacroVU Press, 1998.
- Horn, R.E. Can Computers Think? Seven Posters Visualizing the Great Turing Debate. San Francisco: MacroVU Press, 1998.
Publishing and Office Assistant
Entrepreneurial Authors and Manto Press 1997–1999
Office and database creation, organization and maintenance; assistance in the foundation, marketing and development of a publishing company; marketing strategist and implementation; researcher; customer relations point person; editor; proofreader; typesetter; copywriter
- Bregman, R. and Michelman, B. On Amethyst Glass: Two Voices, One Song. Berkeley: Manto Press, 1999.
- Shaw, T. The Engineer’s Diet. Berkeley: Manto Press, 1998.
Selected Recent Publications
- Author. “View from the Bartop,” Greece: A Love Story, Seattle: Seal Press, 2007.
(Bay Area Travel Writers 2007 Gold Medal Award Winner, Best Travel Writing Anthology)
- Author, “Fish Fever,” Rain Literary Magazine. Astoria: Clatsop Community College, 2007.
- Author, “The Pantanal,” Voicecatcher. Portland: Lulu, 2007.
Marine Mammals and the Sea.
Selected formal and informal projects and activities:
- Walrus behavior study. Round Island, Alaska. 2007
- Gray whale study and identification. San Ignacio Lagoon, Baja, Mexico. 2007
- Blue whale study and identification. Loreto, Baja, Mexico. 2007.
- Pro bono museum consultant. Eco Center, Grupo Ecologico Antares, Loreto, Mexico. 2007.
- Volunteer marine warden. Robson Bight Marine Preserve, British Columbia, Canada. 2005.
- Commercial salmon fisherwoman, Dillingham, Alaska. 2005.
- Transient orca identification and study, Peninsula Valdez, Argentina. 2004.
- Pink river dolphin study. Amazon River Basin, Iquitos, Peru. 2004.
- Animal rehabilitation volunteer. Inti Warra Yassi Refuge, Villa Tunari, Bolivia. 2004.
- Regular visitor to the Farallon Islands, CA. 1999-2003.
- Annual visitor to Año Nuevo, CA. 1999-2003.
Selected Exhibitions and Artist Residencies
- The Nesting Project, Ego Park, Oakland, CA, 2003.
- Hands and Minds Series: The Bay Area Discovery Museum, Sausalito, CA, 2003.
- Cirque du Soleil Opening Night, San Francisco, CA, 2002.
- Cabin Fever, The Exploratorium, San Francisco, CA, 2002.
BA, Ancient Religion, Highest Honors.
The University of California at Berkeley
Classical Music, Full Scholarship
Esther Boyer College of Music, Temple University
Programs, Computer Languages and Platforms
MS Office Suite, Adobe CS Creative Suite, Macromedia Suite, HTML, PHP, MySQL, Mac and PC
Good Spanish. Adequate Greek. Traveler’s French and Italian. Working knowledge of Latin and Ancient Greek.
References gladly furnished upon request